4.11.2010

Day 574. April 10. RIP Macky.


This is my 1988 Honda Accord
(nicknamed Macky)

I got this car 5 years ago & it's been everywhere between San Diego & Seattle with me.

I thought I would have at least another year with this trusty old car, but when the radiator decided to die this week, it just didn't make economic sense to fix it...

So, today was the day I said my goodbyes, as I traded Macky in for a newer, more reliable, Honda Accord.

Some awesome perks of my new (used) car:
*Air conditioning (!!!)
*reliable breaks
*cup holders
*working radiator
*cd player
*empty trunk


Getting a new car meant cleaning out the trunk of my old car...
I didn't realize how much junk I really had in there....
(it was basically my payment free storage unit -- and yes, that huge box WAS actually in my trunk all this time)



The new car is definitely reliable, but not quite as quirky and unique as my old one:

These ghetto rims were my favorite
(even though they were absolutely hideous)....



The broken light that should have been fixed months ago,
but added character none the less.



The pop up headlights that were definitely the coolest thing about my car:



The dorky stickers from Seattle that remind me of my long lost year there.



The ink splatter from when I left a permanent marker on the dash in the heat of summer.
(I never really cared for this but it was still a part of the car I just had to document)



The yellow Last Place Trophy sticker that looks like Matt
& the broken horn that just decided to fall out one night as we were driving, causing a 2 block long constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.



A last minute self portrait.



Goodbye Macky,
Hello, new (no name...yet) Honda.



I miss my dorky car and the memories that clunker holds,
but I am enjoying the luxury of finally having AC.


6 comments:

Susie (aka:Mama Klein) said...

Adios Macky, we will miss you.....

Can't wait to find out what the new car will be named.

xoxo

Unknown said...

Ahahah Austen thinks "Lucille" is an adequete name and Landon votes for "scrampa" but I told Kate se gets namig rights (if I approve Of her name choice) since she named macky.

kate said...

how about air conditioning???

Unknown said...

AIR CONDITIONING!
i AM excited to FINALLY have AC. wow what a luxary.

Unknown said...

ok people, read again.

i realized i wrote this with too much of a mournful attitude.
I've changed it up a bit to have a better, more positive attitude.

I mean good grief, i finally have a NICE/safe car, why am i complaining?
RIP Macky.

Susie (aka:Mama Klein) said...

Meghan, it is OK to mourn your very first car...... I remember how sad it was the day we sold my first real car, the Mazda RX. I, well more so your dad, really hated to see it go.
However, it is a relief for us 2200miles away from you, to know that you are driving in a safe/reliable car WITH air conditioning.
We will all miss that old Macky!! It was definitely you, quirky and unique, but had great characteristics!

Love you lots